Facts and stats
Birmingham has a rich history which makes the city a unique and inspiring place to visit.
Uncover things you never knew about the city by checking out our range of informative facts and stats on www.birminghamtoolkit.com
Meanwhile, here are 10 things you may not have known about Birmingham…
- Birmingham is the youngest city in Europe, with under 25’s accounting for nearly 40% of its population.
- Thanks to its innovative 18th century Industrialists building a canal network to aid trading networks, the city has more miles of canals than Venice with 56 kilometres of waterways.
- Nearly a third of Birmingham’s residents are of minority ethnic origin, bringing a rich cultural mix to the city.
- The National Exhibition Centre (NEC) and International Convention Centre (ICC) host over 320 exhibitions every year.
- With over 8,000 acres of parks and open space, Birmingham is one of the greenest cities in the UK.
- Balti cuisine is synonymous with Birmingham - over 100 balti houses, many of which can be found in the city’s famous Balti Triangle, attract over 20,000 visitors each week.
- Birmingham Hippodrome is the busiest and most popular theatre in the UK with over 520,000 visitors taking their seats at performances every year.
- Over 36,000 people watch inspirational and varied musical performances by the world famous City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (CBSO) every year. That’s more than any other UK orchestra.
- Birmingham has more Michelin-starred restaurants than any other UK city outside London, with Purnells, Simpsons, Adam's, & Carters flying the flag for the city’s fine dining, which has been lauded by many national and international publications.
- For over 250 years Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter has been a national epicentre for jewellery design– producing an estimated 40% of the UK’s jewellery.
For further facts and stats about Birmingham and the wider region visit the Birmingham Toolkit
RT @VisitEnglandBiz: Congratulations to the three new projects who have won funding from the #DiscoverEnglandFund to develop world-class to…
RT @WestMidRailway: 🚂 Our freshly painted train is out in action! It's on the Snow Hill line all day long! Tweet us your pics! 📸 (Well, te…
RT @IceSkateBham: Things to do today with the #birmingham KIDS OFF SCHOOL.Why not take them Ice Skate and enjoy the other attractions at I…
A vibrant museum in the heart of the city with over 40 galleries.Read More
Plan the perfect shopping trip with full store, centre and brand directories.Read More
From the world-famous, 21st Century Bullring to the Victorian elegance of the Great Western Arcade.Read More
Don’t miss Birmingham’s amazing markets – whether it’s the 850-year old Bullring markets or the...Read More
Home to more diamond rings, finishing touches and tokens of love than anywhere else in...Read More