Birthplace of the English Football League; home to the world’s oldest Lawn Tennis Club; host to world class athletics and badminton and venue for Olympic training camps. Birmingham’s got it all and here’s why...
- The city of Birmingham has staged more major sporting events than any other UK city
- Birmingham was the first city to be awarded the title National City of Sport and has been awarded the title European City of Sport for All
- The Barclaycard Arena (formerly NIA) has staged the European Athletics Indoor Championships – the most important athletics event in the UK before the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympics Games
- In 1850 a local GP began an annual sporting event in Much Wenlock, Shropshire, the inspiration for the modern Olympic Games
- Edgbaston Cricket Ground, Birmingham’s oldest international sports venue, staged its first Test Match in 1902 when Australia were bowled out for 36 runs
- The Belfry Golf Course, venue for some momentous Ryder Cup challenges, also houses the headquarters of the PGA
- Lawn tennis was first played in Birmingham in 1865; the Edgbaston Archery and Lawn Tennis Society, founded in 1860, is the oldest surviving lawn tennis club in the world
- The Edgbaston Priory Tennis Club, the venue for the DFS Challenge, has hosted five Davis Cup tennis tournaments
- In 1888, William McGregor of Aston Villa FC invited other clubs to play regularised games of football, the creation of the Football League
- Aston Villa FC has the largest single stand behind a goal in Europe with 13,500 seats in the Holte End. Aston Villa will also host Olympic football in 2012
- The National Exhibition Centre (NEC) and the Barclaycard Arena (formerly NIA) provide an infrastructure superior to any in the UK with the capability to sustain major events including, in recent years, the World Indoor Championship Athletics and the International Horse of the Year Show; The NEC has also hosted Davis Cup tennis.
- Twelve world athletics records have been set at the Barclaycard Arena (formerly NIA). The arena has the country’s only demountable six-lane 200-metre track.
RT @BhamUpdates: Sport is BIGGER in Birmingham and Visit Birmingham are giving you the chance to win The Big Birmingham Experience. https:/…
RT @EnjoySolihull: SUNDAY, 12:30-4:30pm: Mother's Day Daffs at #CastleBromwich HallGardens + herb box planting #NorthSolihull #Solihull htt…
RT @custardfactory: THIS SUMMER! The fab #BirminghamFashionFestival will take place at venues across the city, including here at the CF:ht…
A vibrant museum in the heart of the city with over 40 galleries.Read More
Plan the perfect shopping trip with full store, centre and brand directories.Read More
From the world-famous, 21st Century Bullring to the Victorian elegance of the Great Western Arcade.Read More
Don’t miss Birmingham’s amazing markets – whether it’s the 850-year old Bullring markets or the...Read More
Home to more diamond rings, finishing touches and tokens of love than anywhere else in...Read More