Simpsons Restaurant was created by Michelin chef-patron, restaurant and mentor Andreas Antona. The chefs, who love to experiment with new flavours, texture and flavour combinations, pride themselves on creating the perfect seasonal dishes.
Cornish Crab and Salmon Tartare
To serve 4:
1 live Cornish crab (1-1.5kg) or 250g picked cooked white crab meat
1 x 250g piece skinless boneless salmon or smoked salmon
2 tsp chopped shallot
A squeeze of lemon juice
1 white radish (mooli)
A handful of viola flowers (optional)
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
A few slices of red radish
For the pickle mixture:
150ml white wine vinegar
For the wasabi mayonnaise:
2 tbsp mayonnaise
½ tsp wasabi paste (or to taste)
For the avocado purée:
1 ripe avocado
1 tsp lime juice
50ml water (approx)
For the avocado purée
- Peel & dice the avocado, puree in a food processor, reserve for later
- Whisk the wasabi into the mayonnaise and reserve
- Combine the pickle ingredients , bring to the boil and cool down.
For the crab & salmon rolls:
- Cook the crab in simmering, salted water for 20-25 minutes, remove from the water and allow to cool in iced water
- While the crab is cooking, peel and slice the mooli. Place the mooli slices into the pickle mixture for five minutes then drain and reserve. The slices should be 9cm and and 5cm wide.
- Dice the salmon and season with salt, add the shallot and reserve in a bowl in the fridge
- When the crab has cooled, drain it and remove the meat from the claws and legs. Reserve the rest of the crab for another use.
- Mix the pickled crab meat with the salmon adding a tablespoon of avocado puree to bind. Place the mixture in a piping bag.
- Decorate the mooli slices with the viola flowers if using, and pipe the crab mixture along the top. Roll the whole thing up in a cling film and tie at each end, chill in the fridge.
- Decorate each plate with the avocado puree and the wasabi mayonnaise.
- Unwrap the rolls and place one on each plate, finish with a few sesame seeds and radish slices, serve.
RT @birminghamcg22: Plans for the site that would be home to the #Birmingham2022 Commonwealth Games Village have been formally submitted fo…
A vibrant museum in the heart of the city with over 40 galleries.Read More
Plan the perfect shopping trip with full store, centre and brand directories.Read More
From the world-famous, 21st Century Bullring to the Victorian elegance of the Great Western Arcade.Read More
Don’t miss Birmingham’s amazing markets – whether it’s the 850-year old Bullring markets or the...Read More
Home to more diamond rings, finishing touches and tokens of love than anywhere else in...Read More