Record Passenger Numbers for Birmingham Airport in May

Birmingham Airport has recorded the busiest May in its history, as over 900,000 passengers passed through the terminal last month.

Latest figures reveal the Airport handled a total of 904,860 passengers in May, beating its previous record for the month set in 2014 by 1.3%

May’s passenger numbers mean the Airport has now achieved four record-breaking months in 2015, as January, March and April also saw a record number pass through the terminal.

Scheduled traffic in May accounted for 81% of the total figure, with charter passengers making up the remaining 19%

Paul Kehoe, the airport’s chief executive, said: 

May has been another great month for Birmingham Airport in 2015, seeing records smashed yet again. Passenger numbers in May were given a significant boost thanks to the launch of new routes to New York JFK with American Airlines and Barcelona with Spanish airline Vueling, both offering a British Airways codeshare, allowing customers to redeem BA air miles and Avios points.
Last month represents the fourth record-breaking month this year, which tells me the demand to fly from Birmingham is getting stronger and stronger. This summer alone, we’re getting ready to welcome a series of 34 direct charter flights between Birmingham and Beijing with Hainan Airlines, as well as Emirates introducing a third daily service to Dubai.” 

One hundred percent growth was seen on scheduled routes to New York JFK, Madrid, Athens, Reykjavik and Rome, as well as growth to La Rochelle (+92.5%), Guernsey (+80.3%) and Amritsar (+68.9%).

Charter services to Catania (+185.2%), Cancun (+114.5%) and the Greek island of Lesbos (+100%) also experienced significant growth.



Maps & Guides

Maps & Guides for your visit.

Read More

Getting around

Getting around Birmingham couldn’t be easier...

Read More

What's on

Search for places, events & accommodation...

Read More

Festivals & events

Take a look at what’s on now and coming up here...

Read More


RT @custardfactory: Who loves the design for the Curzon Street Station?! We think it’s fab.@HS2ltd will be in our reception today between…

RT @DigbethDiner: The game has been changed. You asked for it, so here it is. The very first ‘Dogbeth Dining Club’. Sunday, 28th Octobe…

RT @IndependentBham: Tucked away down side streets, off the beaten path, Birmingham is full of wonderful independent hidden gems. Here's ou…

Sporting highlights

All sporting events

There’s always something, or someone, to cheer for here

Read More


Art Galleries

Birmingham’s art collection is as wide as it is impressive. 

Read More

Stage & Screen

From touring West End shows to showcasing local talent.

Read More


A huge arena tour or an intimate gig?  You’ll find it here.

Read More


Multiplexes, the UK’s oldest working cinema or art house cool?

Read More

Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery

A vibrant museum in the heart of the city with over 40 galleries.

Read More


A diverse range of dance groups and venues.

Read More

See More, Feel More

Come, stay and soak up the culture in one of Europe's most vibrant cities.

Read More


Plan the perfect shopping trip with full store, centre and brand directories.

Read More

Shopping centres

From the world-famous, 21st Century Bullring to the Victorian elegance of the Great Western Arcade.

Read More

Vibrant streets

Linking the centres are Birmingham’s bustling shopping streets, packed with major brands and boutique independents.

Read More


Don’t miss Birmingham’s amazing markets – whether it’s the 850-year old Bullring markets or the...

Read More

Jewellery Quarter

Home to more diamond rings, finishing touches and tokens of love than anywhere else in...

Read More

Getting Married in Birmingham

We have everything covered from the rings right up to the venue itself.

Read More