Brits are falling in love with Birmingham – at the heart of the UK
Birmingham revealed to be UK’s fastest growing Valentine’s destination
Hotel bookings for Valentine’s weekend up 80% – highest rise of any UK city
New figures released by Expedia.co.uk reveal that Birmingham is the UK’s fastest growing Valentine’s destination for 2014, with the online travel agent seeing bookings to the city increasing by 80% for the weekend of February 14th-16th.
The latest figures show Birmingham has moved up six places in Expedia’s top 20 Valentine’s destinations for Brits – the highest rise of any UK city.
The boost for Birmingham follows statistics released last year by Expedia.co.uk, which revealed the city was the world’s fastest growing Christmas and New Year’s Eve destination for 2013-14, with its bookings to the city increasing by 118% for the festive period.
Emma Gray, director of marketing services at Visit Birmingham, the city’s leisure tourism programme, said:
“More and more couples are choosing to be charmed in Birmingham thanks to the city’s romantic recipe of stunning architecture, world-class music and art and its famous Jewellery Quarter, offering priceless, bespoke presents for that special someone.
“Visitors can soak up the sights while taking a starry-eyed stroll beside our city centre canals and enjoy the great collection of restaurants and bars to stop off at along the way; Birmingham is the ideal place to spend your Valentine’s weekend.”
Andy Washington, managing director of Expedia.co.uk, added: “Valentine’s Day is always a popular time for couples to get away and we’re seeing Brits looking at new alternative destinations – both at home and abroad.”
For those not already in love, a Valentine’s weekend getaway could be the perfect way to find it. Expedia’s research revealed that more than half (52%) of Brits believe they’re more likely to find love on holidays than at home.
This year, Birmingham offers Valentine’s weekend visitors a wealth of ideas:
- The historic Jewellery Quarter is a city must, with its beautiful architecture and glittering diamonds. You may even find the perfect gift for that special person in your life.
- They say chocolate is an aphrodisiac, so say ‘I love you’ with a trip to the world famous Cadbury World.
- Treat your loved one to a night of music and theatre. The Hippodrome in Southside is showing Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake from February 5th-15th.
- If culture is the way to your loved one’s heart, then visit the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and embrace the culturally rich and romantic Pre-Raphaelite collection on display, one of the largest collections in the world.
- The mac cinema will be showing the romantic classic Casablanca, staring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, on February 14th and 15th.
- Birmingham has a glowing international culinary reputation, so spend your evening in gastronomic heaven by dining at one of the best eateries in town, including the aptly-named Loves Restaurant.
- Add some ‘spice’ to your love life with a trip to one of the city’s many Asian restaurants, from modern Indian cuisine to the authentic Balti Triangle.
21 March - 10 June
A vibrant museum in the heart of the city with over 40 galleries.Read More
Plan the perfect shopping trip with full store, centre and brand directories.Read More
From the world-famous, 21st Century Bullring to the Victorian elegance of the Great Western Arcade.Read More
Don’t miss Birmingham’s amazing markets – whether it’s the 850-year old Bullring markets or the...Read More
Home to more diamond rings, finishing touches and tokens of love than anywhere else in...Read More