Let battle commence at the Brindleyplace Dragonboat Race
On Saturday 18 June the Birmingham canal will become hostile waters when local businesses dust off their dragonboats (they’ve all got one!) for the annual Brindleyplace Dragonboat Race.
The event begins at 10am with battle commencing at 11am.
As a former dragonboater I can confirm that there’s a thrilling atmosphere. This is no leisurely paddle – reputations are at stake, rivalry is strong and some of the starting-line insults are legendary (all this bravado is somewhat squashed by fancy dress!)
The race begins in Gas Street Basin, under the bridge and to the finish line in front of the Barclaycard Arena. Rowers are spurred on by the drummer who sits at the head of each boat.
This year (as ever) this FREE event is sponsored by Deutsche Bank and is in aid of Cure Leukaemia.
Here are some odd-numbered lists (it’s all the rage!) of things to do…
- Scream your lungs out
- Jump up and down
- Erm… shout some more
- Row like hell
- Insult your adversaries with killer put-downs (business related is preferable)
- Don’t capsize (it happened in 2015!)
One and all
- Enjoy face painting, puppet shows and a Birds of Prey display
- Witness some bona fide Traditional Chinese Lion Dancing
- Stuff your face at the all day food, drink & craft market
- Enter a draw to win a 3 night stay in New York! Courtesy of Your Travel
- Dress up your kids and enter them in a competition to win family passes to the National SEA LIFE Centre Birmingham!
RT @Selly_Manor: We can't wait until Saturday - it's the Selly Manor Christmas Craft Fair 2017, 11am - 4pm, and it's FREE ENTRY! Join us fo…
RT @SinghLions: Looking forward to London's magical Christmas lights ❤️My family and I will be in London & Birmingham during Christmas🎄T…
A vibrant museum in the heart of the city with over 40 galleries.Read More
Plan the perfect shopping trip with full store, centre and brand directories.Read More
From the world-famous, 21st Century Bullring to the Victorian elegance of the Great Western Arcade.Read More
Don’t miss Birmingham’s amazing markets – whether it’s the 850-year old Bullring markets or the...Read More
Home to more diamond rings, finishing touches and tokens of love than anywhere else in...Read More